Saturday, March 23, 2013

Mont Blanc

One of my goals while living in Europe was to snowboard in the Alps...mission accomplished. I probably should have started on some smaller slopes since I haven't been in over 5 years, but I survived and now I never have to ski while French and Italians yell at me in their romantic language again. Somehow it's less sexy when they are pissed off.
I went with a friend on a group trip and it worked out nicely. Our hotel was adorable and was exactly a 2 minute walk from the lift. I was terrified going up as I was clearly not prepared for the Alps, but I managed to not soil myself the whole time we were there. We skied Chamonix the first day, then took a bus through the mountain to the Italian side and skied Courmayeur the second day. I preferred Chamonix  because the runs were wider and appropriately labeled. Courmayeur had a red run that I swear was a black diamond. Not that I've ever been on one, but it's what I imagine one to be. I was terrified. That's when I realized I was not good at snowboarding. It looked like the drop off on the scary water slide.
I had a great time and am really glad I went. I might stick to snowshoeing or cross country skiing from now on. Or just move to somewhere warm and tropical and never deal with the snow again.

Chamonix
Resting from the constant barrage of French insults

View from our room

Morning light
Through the clouds
I chose the left route

2 comments:

Stefanie Raynes said...

It looks divine! LOVE your blond hair!

Sarah said...

Dying! And laughing really hard at your last caption.